‘Healthified’ Shrimp & Grits
-1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
-1 tbsp. hot sauce (I used Frank’s)
-1 lb. – 1 & 1/2 lbs. peeled & deveined large shrimp (I used 1 lb. because I bought the shrimp frozen)
-3 slices turkey bacon, diced
-1 cup chopped onion
-1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
-1 tbsp. minced garlic
-1 cup chicken broth
-1/2 cup chopped green onions, divided
-5 cups water
-1 1/2 cups uncooked quick- cooking grits
-1 tbsp. butter
-1 tbsp. salt
-3/4 cup light shredded cheddar cheese
-additional cheese for topping, if desired
1. Combine first 3 ingredients, set aside.
2. Cook the turkey bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp.
^The bacon should start to look like that before moving on to the next step.
3. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic to the bacon drippings in the pan (leave the bacon in the pan). Cook for about 5 minutes, or under tender, stir occassionally.
^That is how it will start to look when they are starting to look tender.
4. Stir in the shrimp mixture, broth & 1/4 cup green onions. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until shrimp are done. (they will turn pink) Stir frequently.
^This is how the shrimp mixture will look when it is ready to top the grits. I added a little bit of cornstarch to the mix, about 1 tablespoon, just to kind of thicken it up.
I served the shrimp & grits with a side of cornbread. I have a HUGE love for cornbread. I could eat it with every meal. Sometimes I do. 😉
Keep in mind that you could always adjust the amount of garlic or salt that you add. It is all up to your personal taste buds 🙂
We both enjoyed this meal…and we both went back for seconds…some even thirds, but I won’t go naming names. 😉
I have a few questions before I go….
1. Do you have a favorite brand of cookware? If you could have any brand of cookware, what kind would you buy?
2. Do you like southern style cooking? Do you have a favorite southern dish?
3. What is your favorite kind of food? (Like Mexican, Italian, American, etc.)
Have a GREAT day 😀 Catch up with you later!